Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Recent Movies

The library has become an addiction for me. I'm watching so many movies lately that I can't find the time to talk to people about them. So here it is... also, I've swayed away from my movie list a long time ago. But I'm slowly getting some of them off of there. So here it is, some of the movies i've watched lately and what I think of them...

All About Eve-Some of the best acting ever. Makes sense since it was a play first because everyones dialogue is way to god dman sophisticated. The end of the movie is pretty awesome aswell, Eve gets served and the person Eve was linching off of lives (sort of) happily ever after.-8.5/10
Black Dynamite-Best spoof movie ever. Black Dynamite is a badass character and everything he does and says is pure awesome. Really wish more people knew about this movie because it is pure win.-9/10
Slapshot-I love hockey movies, and I love random fights and outbursts of anger. Unfortunatly I didn't get to finish it but it was pretty amazing. The Hansen brothers make this movie.
United 93-Nearly cried manly tears. The best movie involving planes... I felt like I was in all of the scenes with everyone, it almost felt like watching a documentary due to all the clearly improvised and realistic dialogue. It's also interesting to note that the plot is in real time. -9/10
Anytown, usa-A blind guy with no job and no money tries to run for mayor of a small town. He's up against the current mayor who knows what he is doing, and a mobster looking fellow who doesn't seem to care. The movie showed small town america in a light i've never seen it. I personally never thought of voting to be such a big thing but it is for americans. It also has a really touching ending.-7.5/10
Battleship Potemkin-Oldest movie I've ever seen (1925.) It was an interesting movie when you think about the plot and what country it came out of. A bunch of higher up leaders on a battleship force the lower ranks to eat rotten meat and do slave labor while they cherish all the rewards. The men battle back due to the dictatorship among the people. In the end all the common people flal behind this ship and it's lower class people. And well, Soviet union bro...-8.5/10
The Thin Red Line-Visually one of the best war films I've ever seen. Besides the death scene of Woodie Harrelson non of the movie felt cliche. Unlike Saving Private Ryan. And even that scene played against the cliche. The story itself is really all over the place. And Adrien Brody is in it the most, yet he never does talk. It's my favorite ww2 movie now.-10/10
The Green Zone-Pretty good writing. Annoying camera styles and to be honest, it felt like a really small movie with a stupidly massive budget for what it contained.-6.5/10
Kick Ass-Great Comedy, Great Action, Great characters. My only problem with it was the fact that it followed the cliche hollywood standard of our day. To entertain the youth and make hollow films only to generate profit. The reason I kind of dislike this film is because it relied heavily on our modern era fads and pop culture. In ten years from now all of it will be obsolete and this movie will be extremely dated and bleak.-8/10
How To Train A Dragon-Toothless is beyond adorable. And almost every scene involving dragons flying is spectacular and breath taking. I watched it on the net so I didn't get the whole experience but i'm definetly buying this movie when it comes out on dvd. Just wished it was a little bit longer.-8.5/10
Hot tub Time Machine-It had some good one liners, but the last half of the movie went by a little to fast for my liking. I think they could have explored the 80's a bit better. Also the call to the 8 year old was amazing.-7/10
Streetcar Named Desire-Brando is a god and that bitch was clearly crazy. I feel for him because she was being annoying and ruining his somewhat peaceful household. But Stella was caught inbetween both of these lunatics. Poor Stella.-9/10
I Heart Huckabees-Confusing plot. But a great message at the end. At times I was about to shut it off due to all the preachy existenialism chat but I think the non existantialism chat and mark whalberg kept me entertained.-7/10
Fantastic Mr.Fox-Fantastic, the best stop motion pic I've seen. It was the perfect length, and it was all perfectly cast. Bill Murray as the Badger, cussin awesome. And Jason Schwartzmans dead pan character was well played-9.5/10
Rashomon-The first Kurosawa flick i've seen all the way through. It is by far the most flawless mystery tale ever. To explain why I'd ruin the plot, but the themes balanced in it are thought provocking to say the least. And the cinematography is top notch.-10/10
Rain Man-I enjoy Tom Cruise. He's an energetic guy and he plays the type of character in this movie perfectly. And Hoffman is effing brilliant in this. It is truely a timeless film from it's cinematography to its themes and its performances. -9.5/10
The Brothers Bloom-I liked Rian Johnson's first film Brick and I liked this one. not so much as Brick but it still had some really cool characters and it once again showed that Rian johnson is a competant director. The card trick scene involving Rachel Weisz is... "Wow". -7.5/10
HUD-Paul Newman is badass beyond badassery. He takes it way to far though and smacks some folks up. It really inspired me to write my current feature which shares some of the similiar themes and stylings and plot aspects. The only problem i had with the film is that I didn't think that HUD's dad died in an epic enough way, given what he went through.-9/10
Lawrence of Arabia-The definition of EPIC. 4 hours long, massive armies, massive story, god like characters. The only thing I didn't like was the whole... 4 hours thing.-9/10
Holy Grail-I think I laughed more reminiscing about it with friends then I did while watching it. It definetly has some awesome replay value-9/10
Being john Malkovich-Strange, but great. some really different styles being explored in this flick. i'm also a big Malkovich fan, even though I've only seen a couple of his flicks. In my last script I wrote the antagonist with him in mind.-8.5/10
Barton Fink-Great performances by all and some of the best dialogue exchanges in a Coen brothers movie. I needed the ending to be explained to me, but it is pretty dense. It is also sort of inspiring and uninspiring for writers.-8/10
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid-Anoth Paul Newman flick! One of the best westerns ever made. Just wished the bike scene was made a little shorter, felt really stupid.-9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment