Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Movies

So... My life has turned into work and movies. That's about it. On the writing scale I've started 3 features that I'm slowly picking at every now and then. But this post will be dedicated to the thousands of movies I've watched in the last couple weeks. Here is some brief reviews and such, nothing serious.
I'm currently watching Garden State-I wasn't expecting much going into this but like all of the movies I've recently bought, it only costed 2$. This movie is kinda pretentious and it's not very funny. But the story is relevant to my interests because it reminds me of a script I began and sadly lost when my Flashdrive dissapeared. So, it gets a 7.5/10
Desperado-I'm a fan of Rodriguez, but I've only seen a couple of his flicks. And if I ever want to get the Getaway driver(In what could possibly be 10 or 20 years) then I should get to know mister Rodriguez's style. And wow, I hit the nail on this one. Desperado was a bit too surreal and outrageous compared to the Getaway Driver, but the action is pretty friggen badass. Tons of gun violence, tons of explosions and tons of badassery. If only it had a bit more of a plot then it would be solid.-8/10
Videodrome-I've never seen a REAL Cronenberg flick(History of Violence seemed too accesible for me to compare with the likes of this.) And I really wanted to get into his stuff because he is one of few famous Canadian directors. Well, Videodrome is on some next level WTF. I was a bit thrown off by the entire plot, but jesus, this is some unique shit. It's definetly a strange and haunting movie. Might have been one of the only movies to make me ask "What the fuck is wrong with this movie?!!?" But then James Wood put a gun in his stomache and it dissapeared, that's when I stopped blinking. True art right here, well, horror art. I want one of those breathing TV's, would be so friggen awesome.-9/10
The Descent-Didn't expect much. I recieved more then I bargained for. Not only was it a decent thrill ride, but it had some amazing cinematography and shots. The ending left me puzzled, until I read a forum post that explained that the main character(The woman who lost her husband at the start) was going insane and the monsters were fake and she killed all her friends during her "Descent" into madness. But it was an ambigious ending, so she could have escaped... Still, I'm looking forward to Neil Marshal's next flick Centurion. -9/10
Blazing Saddles-The best Parody movie i think I've ever seen. I again didn't expect this much from a parody flick about westerns. But oh man, I think i'm going to use qoutes from this movie forever- Piss on you, I'm working for Mel Brooks!, Where the white woman at?, Stop standing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots, Mongo only pawn... In game of life. Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes!-9.5/10
Primer-I was told it was confusing and I shouldn't expect much from it. But I wanted to see it just to say I've seen it. I ended up buying it for 2$ and I watched it half assed like(similiar to how i'm watching Garden State right now.) I didn't understand anything in the movie. I honestly think this is half because of a shitload of exposition, and second is because of the reason stated above.-5/10 After a second viewing it might rise...
A Clockwork Orange- I was anticipating watching this one for a very long time. I've never seen it at any stores and I was told it was banned(Which was true back in the olden days.) The first 20 minutes made me aware that this might be one of the best films ever made. Some of the scenes in this flick made me think of just how much probably went into this film and how much time and effort went into every shot. Jesus Kubrick, you are a god among fools. 10/10
Elephant-I was told about the amount of patience one must have to watch this flick, and holy shit. The plot could have been put into an episode of Degrassi. But that is not why this movie is beyond epic. It's the style and atmosphere. To be honest, this might be the first movie that made me feel like I was IN that school. Ultimate Voyerism. Definetly going to check out more Gus Van Sant because he has an awesome style that I apreciate. His writing is a bit overdone with metaphors and shit that seems to come from nowhere(Like the guys kissing in the shower and why exactly these two kids are shooting up a school?)Still, one takes of people walking down a hallway is so oddly enticing. 9/10
Deliverance-I watched this and The Descent shortly after a canoe trip... I really should have watched them before hand. But anyways, Deliverance has some amazing items involved in it. It makes me fear rednecks and rivers. Burt Reynolds is badass and jon Voight looks good with a stach. and rape looks painful. 9.5/10

I still have a shitton of movies to get through-The Exorcist, BrokeBack Mountain, Magnolia, The Good The Bad And The Ugly, Patton, Raging Bull, Gosford Park, The Prestige, For a Few Dollars More, Zodiac, It's a Wonderful Life, Revolver, Edward Scissor Hands, The Meaning of life, Apocolypto, The Forbidden Kingdom, The Bourne Ultimatum, The Fifth Element, Transformers 2(I don't know why, but I bought it for 2$...), Hostage(The Bruce Willis one.) And I Heart Huckabees, which I'm watching now.

No comments:

Post a Comment